The Tram Stop Mural was completed in 2018 as part of the Progress Castlecliff project. The mural, painted on the old tram stop, depicts the tram that used to service Castlecliff.
Opened in 1908, Whanganui was the first provincial town to have a tramway. 12 trams were commissioned by then Mayor MacKay, including "Mable" the no. 12 tram, which ran from Victoria Avenue in the centre of the city, to the coastal suburb of Castlecliff. Mable has since been restored and is housed at the Whanganui Tram Shed on Taupo Quay.
Photos by Rookie Planet